Pnetcdf compiling problem with OpenMpi on i386 Linux - MPI_File_sync

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 13 11:32:38 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 05:36:51PM +0200, Zbigniew Piotrowski wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Parallel Netcdf with the latest OpenMpi on Centos
> linux 32 bit. Configure yields error:
>
> checking for library containing MPI_File_sync... no
> configure: error: Cannot find MPI-IO library
>
> OpenMpi has been compiled from the latest stable source and  seems to
> have ROMIO installed.

Hi Zbigniew:

I know others have built pnetcdf against openmpi, so we should be able
to figure this out.

could be a couple things.  Can you show me how you are invoking
configure?  And then can you also show me the piece of 'config.log'
that tests for MPI_File_sync?  Here's what one possible success
condition looks like:

configure:12639: checking for library containing MPI_File_sync
configure:12680: /home/robl/work/soft/mpich2/bin/mpicc -o conftest -Wall -g   conftest.c  >&5
configure:12686: $? = 0
configure:12714: result: none required

There might be a few more lines in the failure case, but should let us
know what went wrong.

thanks