switch between indep and collective modes

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at ece.northwestern.edu
Fri Jun 22 00:39:58 CDT 2007

I don't remember why we created the functions
     ncmpi_begin_indep_data() and
     ncmpi_end_indep_data()
to switch between collective and independent data modes.

I can see pnetcdf creates a new file handler by opening the same file
again with MPI_COMM_SELF, if the program ever switches to independent
mode. I wonder why we cannot simply use the file handler created at
collective mode to do independent I/O. Using MPI_COMM_SELF can eliminate
any possibility to apply optimizations for MPI independent I/O.

According to the API document, "the separation of the two modes is
necessary to provide consistent views of file data when moving between
MPI-IO collective and independent operations". In what situation the
inconsistency will occur if we don't enforce this mode switching?

Is pnetcdf's file consistency policy the same as MPI-IO?