pNetCDF and WRF

John Michalakes john at michalakes.us
Mon Oct 30 13:18:41 CST 2006

Hi Rajeev and list

Here are some preliminary results from the NCAR IBM Power5 system
(bluevista) comparing parallel NetCDF vs regular NetCDF output in the WRF
model. This is for one of the standard WRF benchmark cases (12km CONUS; see
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/WG2/bench) where each write is about 250 MB.  I
timed writes to a new NetCDF file and writes to an already existing NetCDF
file separately.

WRF has an ansynchronous output capability that collects up the data onto a
bank of dedicated output tasks which then write the data while the compute
tasks go forward. Performance of regular NetCDF output with this async
output mode is shown on one of the other tabs of the attached spreadsheet.
For this series of runs, the async output generally does better than
parallel NetCDF, but has to collect up all the data on an output server
task. This collection seriously limits the size problem we can run,
especially on very large numbers of BG processors, and was the main
motivation for going to pNetCDF.  Next step will be to try some runs on the
Blue Gene system here at NCAR.

If anyone's intersted in obtaining this new version of WRF that uses pNetCDF
for your own testing, please let me know.

Regards,

John