Parallel-NetCDF 1.0.0 pre-release for NEC SX

Rene Redler redler at ccrl-nece.de
Mon Apr 18 03:12:35 CDT 2005

hi all,

   after some off-line discussion and clarification with
Jianwei I try to summarize some issues that came up when
installing and running the pnetcdf lib and nf_test on a
NEC SX. This concers the problem with representing int1
and int2 in Fortran - in my oppinion due to a bug in the
configure script.

To let the SX compiler properly built and support
the int2 interfaces one has to set FFLAGS=-dW . -->
Could the developers provide me with the final version
of the pnetcdf a few days prior to the official release
so that I can check it on the SX and update the README.SX ?

1-byte integer is definitely not supported on the NEC SX.
Here the configure scripts fails in detecting this
for the following reason:

The configure first checks for integer*1 . With the
SX compiler this test produces an error, which is correct.
In this case it is checked whether integer(kind(1))
is supported. But, this is not testing 1 byte integer
but the default integer size:

The kind intrinsic returns the kind of the input argument.
Since here the input is a default integer the default
integer size is returned, which is 4 and corresponds the
C int.

Instead the test should be make against integer(kind=1)
which would correspond to integer*1.

The same happens with the int2 checks in the configure script.
I modified the configure script and restarted the installation.
Everything seems to work fine now. No int1 interfaces are built.

In the test/nf_test/util.F I now had to replace

       #include "No C equivalent to Fortran INTEGER1"

with some valid Fortran comment in order to get nf_test
compiled. Having done that nf_test passed correctly with
the expected 3 failures.

Is it reasonable for portability reasons to have the e.g. int1
interface be included in the Library even if there is no active
support of integer*1 or integer(kind=1) and copy the data to default
integer in the Fortran world in this case?

Regards, Rene

   René Redler
   C&C Research Laboratories
   NEC Europe Ltd.                 Tel: +49 (0)2241 925240
   Rathausallee 10                 Fax: +49 (0)2241 925299
   53757 Sankt Augustin            URL: www.ccrl-nece.de/~redler