Error in independent mode

Roger Ting rogermht at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 26 09:44:18 CST 2004

Hi,
    I get this error when i update a netcdf file in independent mode.

    2: MPI_File_write error = Input/output error
     Unknow error occurs in writting file

Anyone have any idea what is going on ? This happens when i scale up to 5 processors.
      This sounds silly but what happen is i use a root processor to keep track of which
position in the netcdf to append the new entry. Whenever a processor wants to add an enrty
to the file, it sends a message to the root processor. The root will return the latest position.
If there are five entries in the file, the root processor will return 5. Therefore, the slave processor
will write the enrty at position six. The slave is blocked before it get the message from the root
processor. Therefore, i don't see how does the I/O error happens. Each processor should
be guarantee to write to different position in the file.

Thx