pnetcdf question

Foucar, James G jgfouca at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 17 12:32:00 CST 2004

Hello, I am having trouble figuring out how to implement a disk dump utility
using pnetcdf. Each processor is to dump the contents of a certain array
into a pnetcdf dataset. the problem is that the size of the array may vary
between processors. so, my ideal dataset would look like this:

processor: 1 2 3 4
data:      a a a a
           b   b b
           c   c c
The problem is that the data dimension length is not constant across
processors however the define-mode functions are collective and must be
called with the same values. Does anyone know an elegant way of getting
around this problem?

Thanks,
James