Makefile fail

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 5 11:21:44 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:28:45AM -0500, Corelli.Eileen wrote:
> Im trying to install the parallel netCDF library.
> I configured fine.
> The Make failed.
>
> Can you tell me why?  Attached is the Makefile (which I belive
> configure created) and a copy of the text messages it gave me during
> the make.
>
> I am running on a Sun workstation (but eventually will
> install/configure on an SGI).  I have had mpich installed and
> running fine for a few months.

> /ensco/home/corelli/pgms/mpich-1.2.5.2/bin/mpicc -c -O -I.  ncx.c
> "ncx.c", line 1322: #error: "x_size_t implementation"
> cc: acomp failed for ncx.c
> *** Error code 2

That error comes from this part of the file:

#if SIZEOF_SIZE_T < X_SIZEOF_SIZE_T
#error "x_size_t implementation"
/* netcdf requires size_t which can hold a values from 0 to 2^31 -1 */
#endif

X_SIZEOF_SIZE_T is X_SIZEOF_INT, and that's defined as '4'

Since X_SIZEOF_SIZE_T is always 4 bytes, the only question now is how
big the 'size_t' type is on solaris.

When i run configure on a linux x86 box, I get a line in the configure
output like this:

checking size of size_t... 4

What does that line look like on your platform?  It's possible that
size_t is undefined on sun workstations unless an extra header file is
included or something like that....

Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B