parallel-netcdf-0.9.3 release

Rene Redler redler at ccrl-nece.de
Tue Dec 23 09:47:05 CST 2003

hello,

    I succeeded in using pnetcdf jointly with netcdf in some
ocean model code where we use pnetcdf to read our own input
files for data assimilation while all other model specific file I/O
is still done via the usual netcdf. No naming conflicts, no problems
from this side. The code runs and produces reasonable results.

During my exercises I tried to build a pnetcdf library using Fortran
compiler options that set all integer and reals to 64 bits (-ew on NEC SX).
Although the configure recognized the appropriate lengths from Fortran to C
(e.g. size of Integer is long) the execution of the Fortran test cases
failed, probably because this information is not used for building
the c routines. As far as I can see all integer variables in the c routines
are still declared as int.

I then found a way to build the ocean model without -ew (by only setting
the reals to 64 bit) which enabled me to use the standard pnetcdf lib.
When compiling the ocean code and including pnetcdf.inc I got an compiler
error which was related to the last lines in pnetcdf.inc.  These lines
tell me to define the C macros NF_*_IS_C_*. Why and where is this needed
for?

Rene