Compiling parallel-netcdf 0.8.9 on QSC (ASCI Q)

JB Gallagher jbgallag at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 20 17:59:34 CDT 2003

Rob, Jianwei,

Today I tried getting parallelnetcdf working with the Flash code on ASCI
Q (Alpha Compaq cluster running Tru64) I was able to get older versions
supplied to me by Jianwei to compile (becasue the configure's don't
check if size_t and int are the same size) but code linked with this
library fails in a similar way that hdf5_parallel i/o is failing on Q in
Flash, I get errors saying the comminucator is not valid:

4 4: The communicator is invalid8
4 0: Exiting with status 500 (MPI_ERR_COMM in class MPI_ERR_COMM)
3 3: Exiting with status 500 (MPI_ERR_COMM in class MPI_ERR_COMM)

But most important to you all the configure script from your newest
distribution (0.8.9) stops with the size_t int comparison:

checking for size_t... yes
checking whether size_t and int size match... no
configure: error: This is a critical error; please report this size
mismatch to the developers!

I'll be talking with system folks that administor the ASCI machines
tommorow, so I'll tell them what I've learned (as I indicated before
even or hdf5_parallel module doesn't work on this system) so far, but if
you have any questions that I should ask them based on what I said here
let me know before tommorow morning.

thanks,

--Brad

--