checking whether size_t and int size match... no

Reiner Vogelsang reiner at sgi.com
Mon Aug 4 12:59:35 CDT 2003

Dear Bill,
I am interested in using  the FORTRAN interface. Environmental codes are quite
complex and
handle problem sizes which need 64-bit addressing.

Although an INTEGER is 4 bytes long the pointer to it
is 64-bit if the FORTRAN code is compiled with -64.

Maybe, I need a look on the FORTRAN interface in order to understand why an
extra copy is needed
for such a case.

Best regards

Reiner

William Gropp wrote:

> At 05:23 PM 8/4/2003 +0200, Reiner Vogelsang wrote:
> >Dear colleagues,
> >I tried to run the latest version of parallel netcdf , version 0.8.9, on
> >a Origin 3800
> >under Irix64 6.5.19f. The compiler version is MIPSpro Compilers: Version
> >7.3.1.3m.
> >
> >My environment had the following variables set:
> >
> >CC=cc -64 -mips4 -lmpi
> >CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
> >CFLAGS=-O
> >FC=f90 -64
> >FFLAGS=-O
> >F90=f90 -64
> >CXX=CC -64
> >CXXFLAGS=-O
> >
> >However, the configure step aborts with the  following message:
> >.
> >.
> >.
> >checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> >checking for size_t... yes
> >checking whether size_t and int size match... no
> >configure: error: This is a critical error; please report this size
> >mismatch to
> >the developers!
> >
> >Question:
> >
> >Is it essential that size_t and sizeof(int) should match?
> >It seems that the configure step works if I compile in a full 32-bit
> >mode.
> >However, I would prefer to run the code in 64-bit addressing mode.
>
> This is a problem for the Fortran interface, which is assuming that size_t
> and int are the same size (since the Fortran version is getting (really an
> INTEGER) for these values, and we hoped that we would not need to make a
> copy of the array.  We'll upgrade the Fortran interface to handle this.  Do
> you need the Fortran interface?
>
> Bill

                                             _
                                           )/___                        _---_
                                         =_/(___)_-__                  (     )
                                        / /\\|/O[]/  \c             O   (   )
Reiner Vogelsang                        \__/ ----'\__/       ..o o O .o  -_-
Senior System Engineer

Silicon Graphics GmbH                   Home Office
Am Hochacker 3
D-85630 Grasbrunn                       52428 Juelich
Germany

Phone   +49-89-46108-0                  +49-2461-939265
Fax     +49-89-46108-222                +49-2461-939266
Mobile  +49-171-3583208
email    reiner at sgi.com