checking whether size_t and int size match... no

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 4 10:14:44 CDT 2003

At 05:23 PM 8/4/2003 +0200, Reiner Vogelsang wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>I tried to run the latest version of parallel netcdf , version 0.8.9, on
>a Origin 3800
>under Irix64 6.5.19f. The compiler version is MIPSpro Compilers: Version
>7.3.1.3m.
>
>My environment had the following variables set:
>
>CC=cc -64 -mips4 -lmpi
>CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
>CFLAGS=-O
>FC=f90 -64
>FFLAGS=-O
>F90=f90 -64
>CXX=CC -64
>CXXFLAGS=-O
>
>However, the configure step aborts with the  following message:
>.
>.
>.
>checking for ANSI C header files... yes
>checking for size_t... yes
>checking whether size_t and int size match... no
>configure: error: This is a critical error; please report this size
>mismatch to
>the developers!
>
>Question:
>
>Is it essential that size_t and sizeof(int) should match?
>It seems that the configure step works if I compile in a full 32-bit
>mode.
>However, I would prefer to run the code in 64-bit addressing mode.

This is a problem for the Fortran interface, which is assuming that size_t
and int are the same size (since the Fortran version is getting (really an
INTEGER) for these values, and we hoped that we would not need to make a
copy of the array.  We'll upgrade the Fortran interface to handle this.  Do
you need the Fortran interface?

Bill