[Nek5000-users] Variable properties and Reynolds number

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 31 02:37:48 CDT 2018

Hi, Neks!

I have a question about setting Reynolds number and using variable properties in uservp (density, viscousity and etc.).

I want to solve an dimensionless equation (1D case, for example):
rho*Cp*(dT/dt + ux*(dT/dx))=(1/Pe)*d(k(dT/dx))/dx,

where rho*Cp I set in uservp (utrans for ifield = 2) and it's variable,
k I set in uservp (udiff for ifield = 2) and it's variable.

According to the documentation for using uservp I must use "variableProperties = yes" in .par file, and for the Peclet number  I must use "conductivity = -3536.69" (minus for Pe), but I was looking at the code and noticed that both of "uservp" and "conductivity" use vtrans array. Does it mean that in case of variable properties I could solve only

rho*Cp*(dT/dt + ux*(dT/dx))=d(k(dT/dx))/dx,

without my Peclet number and I sould to include it in uservp in k, for example?

Best regards,
John.