[Nek5000-users] mesh import options

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 21 04:12:21 CDT 2018

Hi all,

Is exo2nek still the best way to import meshes with relatively complex
geometries to nek5000?

If yes, can someone please help me out regarding exo2nek import:

1. I made my mesh using Pointwise and exported to exodusII format, but
exo2nek throws the following error:
"""
EXODUS: ERROR: Attempting to open the netcdf-4 file:
    'pipe.exo'
    . Either the netcdf library does not support netcdf-4 or there is a
filesystem or some other issue
ERROR: cannot open file pipe.exo
"""

2. I exported exodus from ICEM-CFD, here the error from exo2nek reads:
"""
element block id   =        1
element type       = HEX
num_elem_in_block  =    24500
num_nodes_per_elem =        8
ERROR: Only HEX27 elements are allowed in a 3D mesh!
num_nodes_per_elem=   8
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_DENORMAL
"""
3. The popular option looks exporting exodus file from Gambit with hex27
elements, however I
was not able to find Gambit meshing software. Is it open source now or
comes in with Fluent?
I've Fluent 18.0 license at my university.

*Cheers,Vishal*