[Nek5000-users] 'comp_vort3' in 2D

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 24 18:49:40 CDT 2018

Hello neks,

I am using 'comp_vort3' for a 2D flow, with a forcing in x direction,

call comp_vort3 (vort, w1, w2, vx, vy, vz)

call outpost (vort(1,1), vort(1,2), vort(1,3), pr, t, 'vrt')

In this case, the x and y component of vorticity should be trivial, and
only z component should remain. However I am getting a non-zero component
of x-component, vort(1,1) while vort(1,2) and vort(1,3) are zero.

However if I add a z-direction, comp_vort3 returns a non-zero value of
vort(1,3) and the x and y-components are zero, which should be the case.

So my question is, in 2D, does comp_vort3 return only one value which is in
vort(1,1)? The vorticity fields in both cases look sort of similar.

Thanks,
Saikat

Saikat Mukherjee,
PhD Student,