[Nek5000-users] Further to ffx, ffy and ffz

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 24 11:11:18 CDT 2018

Dear Zhai,

p54 = -3   ( implies fixed flow rate in z, with Wbar=p55 )

p55 = 1    ( implies Wbar = 1 )

would be appropriate for a fixed flow rate in the z-direction.

If you have ffx nonzero, then one of two things can happen.

If you also have periodicity in x, then you will have flow in the x direction.   Otherwise, you will simply have a pressure gradient in x.

If, on the other hand, you have ffz nonzero, then the flow will be unchanged, but the apparent z pressure drop will be different.

Paul

PS - Normally, I would run with

p54 = -1

p55 =  1

ffx = 0

which would be fixed axial flow rate (assuming "x" is the axial direction), with Ubar = 1.

Then,

"grep volf logfile"  would reveal the pressure drop as a function of time.