[Nek5000-users] Small random perturbations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 16 03:22:07 CDT 2018

Hello everyone

I have been troubled by the exactly same problem with Ali for the last two months with the turbulent channel case. When I increase elements, the flow is laminarized even though the Re is quite big (10000). I tried many different ways. Even added a constant random forcing, but the disturbance just disappear. (because the disturbance shape is not the same as that in linear stability theory, it is possible that the disturbance just decay. )

How I finally solve this problem is running a coarse mesh calculation first, and then interpolating the result to fine mesh. Then I got a sustaining turbulence and the result is quite satisfying. I hope this could solve Ali's problem.

However, I still cannot understand why increasing resolution would laminarize flow. hoping someone else could explain the problem.

Regards

Bien cordialement

Zhenrong JING

Doctorant (Doctor Candidate)