[Nek5000-users] Filtering in the turbChannel, it that possible to use another filter, such as top-hat filter or Gaussian filter?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 15 13:05:35 CDT 2018

PS: Additionally, to answer your question "

*Lastly, removing high wave number parts of Legendre expansion seems makes
no sense physically. After all, the energy spectral of turbulence is
represented in Fourier  series.*
*Does anyone has any idea on these puzzles*?"

-- Within each element, every variable is expanded as a function of
Legendre polynomials. Note, that higher the order (mode) of the polynomial
the more frequent oscillations it has. So in this sense, the highly
frequent oscillations are somewhat very similar to the frequency/wavenumber
in a classical Fourier series. A relation between mode and frequency would
be worth a derivation, but the idea is just as a function can be thought of
as a series of different frequency/wave number content sine/cosine
oscillations, similarly an aperiodic function can be thought of as a series
of Legendre polynomials of different modes. In this sense, removing/
filtering a highest modes of the transfer function, is equivalent to
removing the high frequency content of the flow variables. It would have a
similar effect in removing the high frequency content of a turbulent flow
field.

HTH,

Tanmoy