[Nek5000-users] Pipe Roughness

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 12 03:20:08 CDT 2018

The typical way would be to change explicitly the surface geometry,
either by changing the location of the mesh (i.e. "surface" fitted) or
by some type of immersed boundary method. For the first method, the
approach certainly depends on the type (and scale) of the intended
roughness, for instance there might be the possibility to use a neknek
approach to decouple the mesh in the pipe centre and the one close to
the surface.

For the immersed boundary method, there is a simple, but apparently
quite efficient way that could be suitable for dissimilar roughness
(i.e. small scale), see e.g. here:

https://journals.aps.org/prfluids/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.3.044605

You might also try out approaches based on wall models with a specific
slip velocity as e.g. done in atmospheric boundary layers, as e.g.
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4994603

Hope this helps,
PHilipp