[Nek5000-users] Visualizing avg_all outputs

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 4 17:27:07 CDT 2018

Dear Neks,

I'm running some cases of natural convection flows inside a box domain and
I want to compute and visualize turbulent statistics of the velocity fields.

I tried this workflow:
- Call avg_all on every usrchk execution, thus I got a avg/rms/rm2-blah0.f*
file for each iostep.
- Execute visnek for each series of *blah0.f* files
- Open the *.nek5000 files on paraview.

blah.nek5000 works fine, showing all fields on every timestep, but for the
avg,rms and rm2 series I only a few timesteps 'frames' out of all the
*blah0.f* files.

Last test I ran was:

p010 = 100 seconds
p015 = 50
p068 = 0

which outputted 200 *blah0.f* from where I got 200 timesteps frames for
regular blah0.f* and only 4 timesteps for the avg_all fields.

I would like some advice on how to properly generate the avg_all files or
the post-processing workflow requiered to get a 'smooth' visualizing of the
statistics.

Regards,

Nicolás