[Nek5000-users] Warning : DIV(V)-QTL too large

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 19 05:19:54 CDT 2017

Dear Nek experts,

I'm trying to simulate a differentially heated cavity with a Rayleigh
number of 10e9 (turbulent convection).
I modified the tutorial of the Rayleigh Benard cell to build my case.
I increased progessively the Rayleigh number. As my Ra increase, I get
this warning "DIV(V)-QTL is too large" so I refined the mesh and the
timestep as proposed in this thread
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/nek5000-users/2016-January/003553.html.

I have now still this warning even if my courant number is very low
(around 0.05).
So I would like to know if I could use a bigger time step keeping C
below 0.5.

My other question is the meaning of QTL, the thermal divergence. In my
simulation it is equal to 0, this is partly why DIV(V)-QTL is too large.
Should I specify a QTL ?

Thank you in advance for your answers,
Best,
Samuel