[Nek5000-users] Moving Mesh

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 22 04:20:25 CST 2017

Hello Nek,

I was trying to validate moving cylinder test cases (ocyl2.usr more specifically). I could validate it properly. Even though I have some doubts regarding the mesh motion. Mesh deformation more precisely. I have seen a function to send the deformation to far field apart from the near wall region (Laplace equation with h1 as blending coefficient).So in order to find h1 in the equation there is a parameter called delta (which is 2 in this case). I have also read a paper regarding this equation. In that paper its clearly states that it is the average thickness of the element which is close to the object. So my question is, is there anyway to calculate it automatically or easily to calculate the thickness of that particular elements from any input files? because if I change the mesh (suppose if I refine the mesh size everything will change right?) how can I find the new average thickness of the elements which is close to the object? or how can I measure the area or volume of the elements which is close to the wall. so could you please help me with this?

Thanks with regards

Sijo George