[Nek5000-users] Resolution problems at computation of the energy spectrum

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 19 08:57:52 CDT 2017

David,

You're at the marginally-resolved limit of the Nyquist sampling theorem.

The only numerical method that will work in this regime is a Fourier one, and even
then the quadratic nonlinearity will lead to aliasing or truncation of the higher
wave numbers (depending on whether you dealias, or not;  in Nek, we typically
dealias, which implies truncation of the higher modes rather than aliasing of
the same).

Next point - all high-order polynomial based methods have a further under sampling that
and be alternately viewed as a limit in the accuracy of the under-resolved modes ---
The heuristic is that the Gauss points (all flavors) have a separation of pi/N in the middle
of the reference domain [-1 1] as opposed to 2/N that you get for uniform points.
The advantage gained is numerical stability and exponentially convergent dispersion
for the resolved modes, which amounts to k_max < N/pi, instead of the usual Nyquist N/2.

There have been many studies comparing Nek and spectral codes  (e.g., ZENG, L., BALACHANDAR, S., & FISCHER, P. (2005). Wall-induced forces on a rigid sphere at finite Reynolds number. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 536, 1-25. ,
for channel flows)   -- There is no particular difficulty here provided you understand the resolution issues.

hth,