[Nek5000-users] Adjacent vertices / cells

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 8 08:04:39 CDT 2017

Hi Lee,

Just to be clear re. your original question - the (i,j,k,e) topology is point-based, not cell-based,
so one doesn't have a concept of 6 neighbors unless you are in the interior of a spectral element
or on the face of a spectral element.  At an edge or corner, you could have more or fewer than
6 neighbors.

If you instead define a cell (which would be defined, say, at the centroids of the N^3 cells within each element), you would have 6 neighbors unless you're on the boundary.

I would normally find these neighbors by invoking calls to setupds and dssum().  In one exchange, you could exchange your neighbors element number.  In a subsequent exchange you could exchange the cell index.   If you use gs_op() directly, I believe it supports integer arguments, rather than making the unseeingly an perhaps error-prone conversion to integers, though I've never had any difficulty call dssum directly and using reals.

It's important to use the gs_op (or equivalent drum) operations as that is the only viable/scalable approach in parallel. (Everything has been tested on anywhere from 1 to 6 million ranks).

I've done this several times before...and can probably dig up some code to give you cell based data,
assuming that's what you want.

Best,

Paul