[Nek5000-users] Outflow BC with negative velocity

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 29 12:32:52 CDT 2017

Dear all,

I've been having some trouble with the outflow BCs in an axisymmetric
case with periodic velocity inflow conditions. Inflow velocity takes
these values:

ux=(sqrt(2.)/5.)*sin(2.*pi*0.03*time)

It runs fine at Re=1000, but when set to Re=13329, which is the value
I'm interested in testing, it crashes due to backflow near the boundary
(with outflow BC). Is there any setting that allows the outflow to
handle flow in both ways? I have already tried turb_outflow (trying to
eliminate the negative flow), but it's not working properly with the
axisymmetric condition.

Thanks in advance for the help,

MViturro