[Nek5000-users] Project a solution onto a polynomial space

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 23 08:32:29 CDT 2017

Dear All,

Thanks for the clarification.

I think there are two (or three, maybe) issues here:

1)  Presentation of a profile of w=<u^3>  (say)

2)  Computation of w=<u^3>

Let's take a 2D case u=u(x,y),  w=w(y),  < f > := 1/L * \int_0^L  f   dx. ,   (x,y) \in [0,L]^2

For example 1, consider u(x,y)=y.    Then,  w(y) = u(x,y)^3 for all x, and w=y^3.

Suppose we have only two points in x and y directions, so that u \in P_1.

If w(y) is also only represented as a linear function (say, given by values at the
GLL points of the mesh), then:

     a)  The values at the 2 GLL points will be correct (i.e., w=y^3 at y=0 and y=L).

     b)  For the case N=, there are not enough GLL points  to represent w=y^3.   You
          will need to interpolate u(x,y) onto a fine mesh prior to cubing the result, and you
          will need to retain w(y) on this mesh when you print it, if you want to see this.

In a similar way, as noted before, if u(x,y)=x (say), then when you integrate u^3,
then you'll need a higher-order quadrature, which means interpolating onto a finer
mesh in the x direction.

One cool thing, for quadrature, you need fewer points in the integration direction
than you do in the "presentation" direction (i.e., fewer in x than in y in this example).
That's because the Gauss rules allow you to accurately integrate a polynomial of
degree 2M with ~M points.

Regarding the possible third issue, the same rules apply in time, but might be
less severe (or maybe not).     The reason that they should be less of an issue
in time is that we tend to not push the resolution so hard in time --- I think of it
this way:

Suppose I had a function that is growing in time.  I want to compute it's integral (in time).
I'm effectively using trapezoidal rule.  I now cube that function, still using trapezoidal rule.
If you look at the time history of any point in the domain, we generally have enough points
that the trapezoidal rule will do a pretty good job.  Otherwise, you will need to interpolate
in time as well to accurately integrate u^3(y,t).

Note also that of course all of the integration tends to smooth things out, which diminishes
the number of modes that will not be accurately integrated (per Philipp's observation about
low-frequency content).

So, I think what you would want to do for your tests would be to interpolate into space
to a higher polynomial, integrate in the planar directions using a higher-order Gauss
rule (e.g., GL or GLL, with GL being most common), and present your wall normal profile
on a finer set of GLL points.

This is just a suggestion of course...  Like the rest, I'm interested to know what you
find!

Thanks!