[Nek5000-users] Problem with Spatial Derivatives of field

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 6 00:38:19 CST 2017

Good Morning,

Sorry for taking so long to answer. First I wanted to say that I really
appreciate all of your help!

I am currently trying all these methods :

- as suggested by Paul Fischer, increasing LX1 and low pass filtering.

- and smoothing the derivatives. I will keep you posted on the results.

What I am trying to do is studying optimal perturbations using a
DIRECT-ADJOINT approach so as to optimize quantities.
However, when I am writing the equations, I have no choice but taking
the spatial derivatives of vorticity.

Computing the derivatives is made for every DIRECT Numerical Simulation
of the perturbations. Then I call the ADJOINT solver of Nek5000

In order to converge towards optimum this may take several iterations
let's say N ( roughly N=10 however since the gradients are not well
resolved then I cannot tell whether I'm converged or not). The point is
that I am computing vorticity, then computing the gradients of the same
initial field, and this, N times. This leads to the problem I am facing.

Hope that helps understanding the issue. If you have more questions,
please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Arnold

--

*Arnold Wakim*
Doctorant,

ONERA - The French Aerospace Lab -Centre de Meudon
8, rue des Vertugadins - 92190 MEUDON

Nous suivre sur : www.onera.fr <http://www.onera.fr/> | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/@onera_fr> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/onera> | Facebook