[Nek5000-users] Corner elements giving large values

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 1 12:58:33 CDT 2017

Hi Swarandeep,

Is 0/1 a realistic BC for T ?

Best,

From: nek5000-users-bounces at lists.mcs.anl.gov [nek5000-users-bounces at lists.mcs.anl.gov] on behalf of nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov [nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 12:53 PM
To: nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: [Nek5000-users] Corner elements giving large values

 Hi Nek Forum, Paul

       I am having temp = 1 and temp = 0 at the inner and outer
boundaries. Gravity is pointing in the -ve z-direction along the axis
of the
     annulus.  The top and bottom planes have zero heat flux conditions.
       I have Coriolis force added as a body force.
       The Rayleigh number is around 10000. The resolution is 8, 25,
24 elements in the r, phi and z directions respectively with order 9.
       My initial condition is very low arbitrary velocity
perturbation (~10^(-8)). The time resolution is set to 10^(-5) for
param12. The CFL is
set to 0.5. Please indicate how to control it.

      As you have rightly mentioned, I start the simulation with a
very low value of the Rayleigh number and gradually increase it. Yet,
the corner values only get large. Other regions of the domain are
fine.

Thank you
Swarandeep