[Nek5000-users] param(2)

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 19 06:45:12 CST 2017

Thank you Paul!

p2 = \mu is indeed what we have used so far, and it is consistent with
changes in p1 and p2 (same \nu = p2/p1 gives same solution).

The only "problem" then is the LES model from the turbChannel example,
where
UDIFF = EDIFF in uservp, and
EDIFF = param(2) + dynamic Smagorinsky term in eddy_visc,
Here, param(2) is \mu and the dyn.Smag term has dimension as \nu.
If we multiply the dyn.Smag.-term by param(1) to obtain a "\mu_T", the
simulation crashes after a couple of time-steps (with \rho=1000, for water).

But on closer inspection, for PN-PN, the dyn.Smag. term is split off as
VDIFF_E (if nu_star = param(2)) and the correponding stress is added to
BFX/BFY/BFZ in makevis, and then BFX (etc) is multiplied by \rho in
makeabf, so it gets the correct dimension.

For PN-PN-2, it's not clear to me how this is handled, but the effect
seems to be the same. EDIFF should be set to param(2) + \nu_T in
eddy_visc (as it is turbChannel) to get the correct result for different
\rho.

Carl Erik