[Nek5000-users] Output format of Nek5000 file

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 07:33:33 CST 2017

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to work with Nek5000, I have few question about the output format:

-In all the documents available, they talk about .fld file, but I launched the quickstart tutorial, and I got only .f000... data file. Is this the same?

-I found a Matlab script that read binary data into Matlab, and the data I received is a matrix of : nel .  N^3 .  fields
So I guess for each spectral element, and for each field, the file store N^3 numbers, corresponding to the values. But I have read somewhere that you can't mix the equally spaced value with GLL points. So in the binary file I got, what type of mapping is using? GLL abscissas or equally spaced?

-About GLL points, I got it in 1D, but when it come to 3D, with curved elements, it become a bit complex, do you know where in the program or are there any pre-made tool that map the GLL points coordinates base on coordinate of vertices and curvature?

Thank you,