[Nek5000-users] Reynolds number setting in the turbChannel example

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 22 06:41:07 CST 2017

Hello Neks

I am a new user of Nek5000 and my long term objective is to develop and implement some LES models in NEK5000. Now I am working with the turbChannel example.

I want to make sure that the original parameter setting in the example is corresponding to Re_tau = 590 ? When the Reynolds number (p02) is set to 10935, my results show that the Re_tau is lower than 590.

The second question is that, if I want to simulate Re_tau = 180 case, what the Reynolds number (p02) should be? My understanding is that since the U_bar in the turbChannel is equal to 1, the the Reynolds number (p02) should be 2800, which is the Re base on bulk mean velocity in J Kim, P Moin and R Moser 1986 JFM paper.

Any responds is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Zhenrong JING

PhD école centrale de Nantes