[Nek5000-users] Spectral coefficients for velocity

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 25 10:06:16 CDT 2016

Hi Andrey,

I don't know if you got an answer yet but here are my suggestions.

If you are asking about the theory behind spectral transforms, I
suggest that you look at appendix B in the book "High-Order Methods
for Incompressible Fluid Flow" by Fischer, Deville and Mund. In
particular, Section B.3.1 gives the formula for the spectral
coefficients uh_k

uh_k = 1/gamma_k \int_-1^1 w(x) u(x) p_k(x) dx

where gamma_k=||p_k||^2 is the discrete norm and w(x) is the weight
function, both of them associated to polynomial p_k.

If you want to compute these coefficients in Nek5000, then you can
look at the routine "local_err_est" in the file navier5.f. There, one
goes to the Legendre space by using

call tensr3(uh,nx,u,nx,Lj,Ljt,Ljt,w)

where uh is the array of spectral elements and the operators Lj and
Ljt are computed in the routine "build_legend_transform" (also in
navier5.f) from the GLL points.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Nicolas Offermans