[Nek5000-users] Heat/passive scalar solver - Helmholtz

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 21 13:22:09 CDT 2016

Dear Paul,

The Peclet and Reynolds number based on the Taylor-microscale and rms velocity are Pe = 33.9 and Re = 48.5.
The periodic box of edge legnth 2*pi is discretized with 20^3 spectral elements of polynomial order 7.
The grid Peclet number based on the mean grid spacing 2*pi/(20*7) and the rms velocity is Pe_grid = 6.69.

We increased the polynomial order from 7 to 11 and 17 and reduced dt accordingly (CFL < 0.4). However, the volumetric scalar means are still not constant. Is there a stability criterion for the solution of the passive scalar equations in Nek? Are there other possible reasons for our numerical errors?

Best, Philipp