[Nek5000-users] Nek5000 simulations of High Re flows ~ 10^5

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 15 14:26:47 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with
simulating high Re flows of the order 10^5. I'm studying flow instabilities
over airfoils and have been struggling to obtain a stable simulation for
these high Re flows.

Its worthwhile to note that I have simulated low Re flows using identical
geometries. Making the mesh finer or increasing the order of the method
does not seem to be doing the trick. The simulations usually diverge after
something like 5 seconds of flow time.

If there are any specific conditions/settings that I should be looking at,
I'd really appreciate the information.

*Amitvikram Dutta*

*MASc Candidate*

*Graduate Research Assistant *

*Okanagan CFD Laboratory*

*University of British Columbia | Okanagan Campus*