[Nek5000-users] Vortex within cylinder with rotating lid AND How to import from Soldiworks to Nek5000?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 27 10:01:53 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I have just recently started to familiarise myself using Linux and Nek5000 so my knowledge is quite limited(please bare with me). I am currently doing a summer project proposing to use Nek5000 rather than ANSYS Fluent to simulate swirling flow to investigate vortex breakdown.  I am currently going over the examples within the SVN repository I downloaded to which I stumbled upon the vortex problem within a cylinder with a rotating lid. I was interested in finding out how to change the aspect ratio of the geometry.

Additionally, I also wanted to confirm if its possible to import geometry from Solidworks into Nek5000? I have read that you can do it through Gambit but I am looking for some guide on how to do so.

Kind Regards

Dipendra