[Nek5000-users] symmetry boundary conditions and genmap

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 1 14:03:07 CDT 2016

Hi Marco,

It looks maybe like you replaced "W" by "SYM"  ?

In the .rea file, if a line has a character that is read by nek, then the line has to be formatted,
which means that spaces in the line are important.

Thus, you should replace "W  "  ('W-space-space) by "SYM"  , i.e., all bcs are read as 3 character
strings.

Now, concerning SYM, there is another constraint --- namely the following:

Any SYM boundary must be aligned with either X , Y, or Z unit normals, unless you're using the
stress formulation.

The reason is that, say, for a SYM boundary that has unit normal in the Z direction, the velocity
bcs are:

   du/dz = 0 ,  dv/dz = 0,  w=0

That is, Dirichlet for w and Neumann for u and v.

If the SYM bc is not aligned, it ends up being a mixed bc for the 3 velocity components, which
in Nek can at present be handled only with the stress formulation, which means PN-PN-2, and
not PN-PN.

Best, Paul