[Nek5000-users] Clarification on Adjoint solver

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 10 11:58:34 CST 2016

Adam and Oana,
Thanks again for your responses.
Let me summarize what I understood.
1) We may have either evolving (unsteady) or non-evolving (steady) base
flow. As for the latter, we may use restart option in rea file.
2) For non-evolving case (which is what I have in mind in the end) Nek
"is able to" handle and to do so parameter #31 in rea file needs to be
modified. Can you please clarify how. Suppose that there is velocity and
a passive scalar or even temperature, so there are three adjoint fields
(velocity, pressure and the scalar).
Also, is what Oana mentioned, "one has to do the change of the
velocities himself" related to remark number 2 above?
3) There's also a confusion in userchk: First Adam mentioned that we
need to include 'ADJOINT' plus if(ISTEP.eq.0) ADJOINT=.TRUE. for adjoint
solver in order to i) changing the time and pressure sign and 2)
modification of advection terms. But in the second example, while he
still uses include 'ADJOINT' in userchk but then there is this statement
IFADJ = .FALSE. Can you please clarify what's the difference here?

I'm really grateful that you take the time to answer these questions.
Please let me know if we can take this conversation off the mailing list.

Brief summary of the problem we have in mind: we'd like to optimize the
flow with respect to some parameters (either BCs or ICs) in terms of a
defined cost function. So this can be regarded as either design or
optimal control problem. Calculus of variations and Lagrange multipliers
lead to adjoint equations which are very similar to NS equations. We
already solved the problem using NEK and we'd like to use this again for
adjoint equations. All the results will be in an outer loop for
optimization (based on, say, steepest gradient). In general, the problem
is unsteady, but we can start off with steady and non-evolving cases at
early stages.

Best,
Saleh