[Nek5000-users] Maintain flow rate in angled geometry

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 5 09:52:40 CST 2016

Dear Neks,

Recently I have been running test simulations of an angled square duct. A sketch is shown below. The shapes of the inlet and outlet are identical. The actual domain is longer than shown here.

  ____________________

|                                         \

| _________________        \

                                           \     /

                                             \ /

Simulations with velocity inlet and outflow conditions worked well. Now I want to set up periodic boundary conditions at the inlet and outlet. I'm wondering how can I maintain a constant flow rate in this simulation?

In the normal periodic channel flow simulation, setting parameters p54 and p55 ensures a constant mean velocity. But in my case, the flow changes direction. Does anyone know how to set constant flow rate/mean velocity in this type of simulation?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Tony