[Nek5000-users] set passive scalar initial conditions after some time t

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 26 14:20:46 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I would like to apply some initial conditions for a passive scalar after some time t in the simulation as opposed to at the start of the simulation.  In other words, start a simulation, let the flow field evolve, then after some time initialize the passive scalar with some prescribed initial condition, and then continue simulating the flow field and the passive scalar. Is there a simple way to accomplish this in the .usr file? What subroutine would be the best for this situation? If userchk — how do we set the values of the passive scalars in this routine?

Side note: we have found that for this case we can not first run the flow field calculation and then restart the calculation with the passive scalar values set as an initial condition.  The restart affects the flow field too strongly since we are interested in a very specific state of the flow field.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Paul
Professor of Mechanical Engineering