[Nek5000-users] run over small machine

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 21 02:28:07 CDT 2016

Hi neks,

i am simulating a turbulent channel flow over a small machine, 64 cores
in 4 nodes. So i have tried two different setup, one with much elements
and N=4 and one with less elements with N=8. With the first setup, the
run is fine, at high Re i have turbulent flow, but i have restart issue
and very low performance. If i launch the second run (high order) with
the same setup of the first run (low order) i have a laminar flow.
Another try done was to run over another machine with more power first
setup (same elements ) and increasing N since 4 to 7.
I expected a turbulent flow too, instead i have another time a laminar flow.
My decision to decrease elements number and increase N, has been taken
to following some answers in your mailing list archive to increase
performance.

So, which could be the causes of this strange behaviors?

Another question is, how can i increase performance for this very small
machine?
I already wrote i changed number of elements and N, i fixed too time
step, gmres = 40 in SIZE, Helmotz and Pressure tolerance to 1 E-8 and 1
E-5 and activated projection (param 94 and 95 equal to 5). There is
something else that can i do?

Best regards,
Federico.