[Nek5000-users] Elsasser subroutines in the MHD solver

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 1 08:59:02 CDT 2015

Hi all,
I have a question regarding the implementation of the MHD solver. The
manual and the comment in the subroutine elsasserh (in induct.f) says
that Nek uses the Elsasser formulation to solve for u and B
simultanously. A quick  'grep -i'elsasser' *' in the source directory
tells me that there are subroutines to convert between u and B and the
Elsasser variables. However, it seems to me that only one of these is
ever called (in the cfl_check routine). Shouldn't there be many more
calls, e.g. for converting the starting field, boundary conditions,
writing output...?
I have no experience so far with the Elsasser formulation, so I am a bit
lost concerning what is happening in the code.

Best regards,
Jan