[Nek5000-users] Dynamo set up with weird results

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 23 09:03:44 CDT 2015

Hello everyone,
I am currently looking into using Nek5000 for a (kinematic) dynamo
problem in a spheroid. I started by combining the mhd example from the
examples with a working case which only solved for the velocity the
following way:
- lbelv=lelv, lbx1=lx1 etc. in SIZE
- adding (dummy) bc's for Temperature to the rea file and setting
ifheat=.false. in usrchk
- adding bc's for the magnetic field to the rea file as Passive Scalar
1, after the temperature. The string is 'E  ' inside the Volume and 'v
' at the boundary
- ux,uy,uz=0.0 in userbc for both (ifield .eq. 1) and (ifield .eq. ifldmhd)
- ux,uy,uz=0.0 in useric for both (ifield .eq. 1) and (ifield .eq. ifldmhd)
- param(29) is set to the magn. viscosity
My actual problem is of course more complicated in regards to init. and
boundary conditions, but this simple example produces weird output. The
magnetic field should stay zero, but grows with the same rate as the
velocityfield (computed via
glsc3(bm1,bx,bx,n)+glsc3(bm1,by,by,n)+glsc3(bm1,bz,bz,n) and
(glsc3(bm1,vx,vx,n)+glsc3(bm1,vy,vy,n)+glsc3(bm1,vz,vz,n))).
  I then removed the custom forcing to the velocity in userf, which
caused the simulation to produce NaNs after 4 timesteps (everything is
zero before, as expected).
Without the additions for the magnetic field, the case runs fine with
the same resolution and timestep length (but has a slightly lower
growthrate for the velocity).

Has anyone seen similar behaviour? I think that I am missing something
obvious in the the mhd setup.

Cheers,
Jan