[Nek5000-users] Large simulations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 7 11:05:13 CDT 2015

Hi JP,

That doesn't sound normal at all... 200K elements is not that large.

I'm suspecting that the time is spent in factoring the XXt-based coarse grid operator..., but
that should really take only 20 minutes for the numbers you report (which is still too long).

My guess is that a switch to AMG for the coarse-grid solve would fix your problem --- My first
guess about the long time is that somehow the partitioning is messed up --- XXt depends
crucially on having a good partition and genmap is designed to provide this.

Please let me know if you have any issues switching to AMG (which we typically only do
at around a million elements or so...)

Best,

Paul