[Nek5000-users] Spectral interpolation of velocity gradients

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 1 10:55:35 CDT 2015

Hi Philipp,

Your approach sounds correct.

Nek automatically migrates particles to wherever the geometry is.  This is done using a relatively
efficient generalized all-to-all (that requires only log P message exchanges).  Point identification is
done through a combination of a hash table, to identify candidate elements, and a very robust
Newton iteration to identify the computational point in r,s,t, space that corresponds to x,y,z.

Of these processes, findpts is the most expensive.  Subsequent interpolation onto multiple
fields is relatively cheap.

I have some code developed by another user that will interpolate many fields in a single go ---
there are computational advantages for doing so --- but it is not yet general purpose (by
the author's own admission).  My hope is to get this into the repo soon but I could provide
it off-list if you are keen to dig into some C code -- only if you are keen.   Otherwise, I think
there are other optimizations that could be tackled, and we will indeed be working on these
over the next few weeks.

Paul