[Nek5000-users] turbchannel-dsavg

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 6 11:09:08 CST 2015

Hello all,

I am working on the Dynamic SGS model used in turbChannel example. There
are two geometries in this example, one with 512 elements and the other
one with 36 elements. I modified the routine "set_grid_spacing(dg2)" in
.usr file to have a non-trivial filter width, rather than a constant
one. When using the 36-element case, the code comes to a halt at routine
"dofcnt" after calling "userchk", in which the unique gridpoints are
counted. I realized that this happens when varaible "dg2" is being
averaged on the elements boundaries via "dsavg()" in subroutine
"set_grid_spacing(dg2)". However, I couldn't figure out the reason for
that. This issue, however, does not happen for 512-element case.

So I wondered if anyone has noticed similar issue with this example.

I also wanted to echo my previous post (in the following link) on
whether or not the SGS model in turbChannel example can be used in other
geometries (e.g. for flow over a cylinder). I couldn't find anything
that prevents one from using this model in other configurations except
the spatial averaging routines, which are used to create a homogeneity
in turbulent characteristics over the homogenous planes of channel example.

https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/nek5000-users/2015-January/003159.html

Regards,
Mohsen