[Nek5000-users] Infinite Prandtlnumber with Nek5000

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 11 18:18:08 CDT 2015

Hi Jan,

I just saw this and the follow-on posts.  (Apologies - have been on the road for
several weeks.)

I've not tried this, but it appears to me that you simply will set IFNAV = F in the .rea
file and can set param(1) [ rho ] to be a very small number.  Param(2) is the dynamic
viscosity, so you can set that independently of param(1).   This will have the affect
of forcing the velocity to relax very quickly (its inertia is negligible compared to the
other terms in the momentum equation).  So, you could conceivably set param(1)
to be 1.e-30, say.

Note that, on the same line where IFNAV is set, you would set IFADV to be "T" for
the second field.  It should look something like:

F T F F F F F F F F F IFNAV & IFADVC (convection in P.S. fields)

Also, you might find it of value in this scenario to try the Pn-Pn-2 formulation with
plan1 ...  In this case, you would indeed want to edit the source --- specifically:

change the call to plan3() to call plan1()  in drive2.f ...    As I say, I've not experimented
with this flow regime so am only making suggestions to try, rather than firm
recommendations based on experience.