[Nek5000-users] Infinite Prandtlnumber with Nek5000

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 5 05:15:53 CDT 2015

Hi all,
I was wondering if it is possible to use Nek5000 for simulations in the
infinite Prandtlnumber regime (e.g. planetary mantles). This would
require to solve the NS Stokes equation without the time derivative and
advection term and the heat equation for T:

1) Solve visc * laplace u - grad p + buoyancy = 0 and div u = 0, where
bouyancy depends on a given T field and a Rayleigh number
2) Update T by solving dT/dt + u grad T = diff * laplace T (+ other sources)

More realistic models would then use a varying viscosity.
I looked at the steady state example (kov_st_state), but this is missing
the time depencence via the Temperature. Any hints on the possibility
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jan