[Nek5000-users] turbflow_outflow() - emergency

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 5 04:49:12 CDT 2015

Dear all,

I am using Nek5000 to do DNS of jet flow.

As my turbulent flow reaches the end of the domain the CFL number increases rapidly and thus the simulation crashes.

My understanding of this issue is that it is caused by a turbulent backflow, thus one should try to accelerate the flow a little in this region to prevent this from occurring.

After trying to reduce dt and divergence parameter I included the subroutine accl_outflow() as described in the expansion example. This was unsuccessful, thus I also tried to implement the turb_outflow() subroutine which again did not solve my problem.

I am unsure how to proceed, the only way forward that I can tell is to make a variable timestep.

I look forward to hearing your responses,

Friedrich