[Nek5000-users] Questions in AXHELM and WLAPLACIAN

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 29 19:47:16 CDT 2014

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your quick answer, this is really helpful.

I still have a question concerning the computation of a gradient.

Why did you construct the diffusion operator with the helmholtz routine? Why not using directly the routines gradm1 ?

By the way I am not sure to understand the differences between gradm1 (navier5.f), wgradm1 (navier1.f) , gradm11 (navier2.f) and gradm11ts (navier2.f).
I guess that the w letter refers to the weak formulation, but I don’t understand in which cases we need to choose a formulation instead of others.

In summary, if I want to modify the temperature/passive scalar equations to add a term that contains a gradient of the solved temperature/PS variable, for example, which “gradm” routine do I need to use?

Thank you for your help !

Best regards,
Emmanuel