[Nek5000-users] Problem w/ outflow and DIV(V)

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 28 20:51:23 CDT 2014

Hi Mohsen,

For incompressible Navier-Stokes, you can add a body force such that the pressure will be
uniform at outflow in the no-flow configuration.  It's important to do this --- see Eq. (13) on p. 9
of

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/nek5000/examples.pdf

(which is accessible from the Nek5000 documentation page).

If you don't compensate for the variance in pressure force due to the hydrostatic
load then you will indeed find backflow coming in via the outflow boundary.