[Nek5000-users] Unstructured Mesh

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 7 12:46:39 CST 2014

Hi JP,

Is your mesh made up of fully hexahedral elements (quadrilaterals in 2D)?
 Nek supports unstructured meshes, but only these element types.

If your mesh is fully hexahedral, then my suspicion is something went wrong
with converting the .vtk to the .rea in terms of ordering the nodes for
each element (Nek expects a certain ordering)

Josh

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I imported a .vtk mesh (unstructured, created in gmsh) in prex with no
> problems but I get the following error at run-time:
>
> "
>  done :: read .rea file   0.74162E-01 sec
>
>  setup mesh topology
>
>   WARNINGa: Detected non-right-handed element.
>   Number       1  C1-4: -0.6454E-03 -0.4845E-03 -0.4873E-03 -0.3265E-03
>
> call exitt: dying ...
> "
>
> Does NEK5000 support unstructured meshes?
>
> I tried various geometries to make sure elements were not too distorted
> but I got similar errors.
>
> Thank you,
> JP

Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
-- Edmund Burke